 Off-Topic / Debate / 12109
Re: Go ahead, make my day!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:45:06 GMT

At that point whip out the FIJA information (from memory, you might
get arrested if you bring literature in) and share with the rest of the jury
the duty to judge the *law* as well as the facts.

(regardless of the instruction of the judge who will tell to judge only the
facts, not the law)

Doesn't this demand that each member of the jury be conversant with the
(possibly very obscure) laws?  How can one's "peers" be expected at any
time, for instance, to be trusted to interpret the particulars of laws they
might never previously have heard of (forgive the dangling participle)?
My impression was that the judge is to instruct the jury re: the law in
question and that the jury is to decide based on the facts how and if the
law was broken.  Please correct me if I am (admittedly very possibly) wrong!

    Dave!