 Off-Topic / Debate / 12090
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:53:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
Read what Chris said. Read my reply. Think about it. You will see what my
point is.

The only point you seem to be making is that guns kill and therefore they
must not be tolerated.

No. Does the film say that?

I must have missed the film.  But that is what *YOU* seem to be saying.

I am not saying that. But it is a valid view.

More than once you have asked me if this is the best that I can do.  I think
that I have done qite well in showing other perspectives of this issue.  If
guns were the only cause of violent death in America, I might actually
consider the banning of them, however, they are not.  Other forms of lethal
luxuries

So that is all a gun is : a luxury. I prefer a good bottle of wine any day.
Or maybe new brakes for my bike (if any one is interested : I have ceramic
517's with Avid AR 4.0, but I do fancy some disks).

Guns are a very popular luxury indeed.  And so are telephones and
automobiles.  All of which have some very serious uses.

I can't imagine life without a phone. I can live without a car (I cycle the
16 miles per day to work and back). I do live without a gun - I do not live
in fear of criminals or the "state". Perhaps I have the luxury of living
without the need of a gun? Is that not how you would prefer to live? If I
were to design a utopia, gun would not be required.

Scott A

Scott A