 Off-Topic / Debate / 12009
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:36:33 GMT

I think I disagree, though I'd invite anyone to convince me.  I think we
should do away with all our laws, start over, and put everything up for
straight democratic vote.  And each and every law/issue would need 75% in
favor in order to pass.  I'd bet good money that we'd end up with a
preferable system.

I like the part about doing away with all our laws and starting over.

  I asked about this before: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=11852
but I wanted to clarify your answer.  Specifically, would you support
"starting over" with new laws even if those laws ultimately conflicted
(perhaps diametrically) with your own views?
  And, in addressing the 75% majority vote, what about an ethnic or
demographic or cultural or religious minority comprising less than 25% of
the voting populace?  How, in a straight vote-from-scratch-on-everything
system, do we prevent the 75% majority from making, for instance, Wicca a
capital offense?

Me, I'd love to see a constitutional convention. We've never had one of
those. It would give a chance for wholesale change to the constitution
rather than one amendment at a time change.

  Sponsored, no doubt, by Texaco and Philip Morris.  While a constitutional
convention might be nice for an end-run around the mechanisms for a balance
of power, it's also a fantastic way to sequester the decision-making process
from any sort of public review, accountability, or influence.  We could
easily, in theory, wind up with a unilateral ban on civilian use of
gunpowder weapons, a 95% income tax, and a small body of rulers-for-life.
If you (the general "you") worry about government corruption and the sapping
of civil liberties under the current system, I can't imagine why you (again,
the general "you") would want to give even greater power with even less
accountability to the same guvmint you seem to fear.

     Dave!