 Off-Topic / Debate / 11962
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:33:03 GMT

Either way, I still say put it to a vote and let the American public decide.
That sounds fair enough to me and I'll have no reason to complain either way
since I'll know what my fellow Americans really want. Right now, I think the
minority rules on this issue and I prefer the majority to rule.

To outright assume that people against handguns and automatic weapons are
uninformed leads to equal assumption that the gun advocates are. "Facts" can
easily be manipulated depending on what side one is on.

The realistic answer, in my opinion, is to eliminate only the weapons I've
described and make an additional fine or punishment for criminals with such
weapons. By all means, keep all the high powered rifles and the shot guns in
case we need to revolt. But get rid of the handguns and automatic weapons,
the weapons that are predominately used in violent crimes.

This is NOT saying "If you attack and murder someone, use a knife not a
handgun." This is saying "If you attack and murder someone, regardless of
how you did it, the punishment will fit the crime." The gun advocates use
the notion of more guns as a deterrant, why not use state execution as a
deterrent.

The fine and punishment for assualt with a deadly weapon, assaulting a
police officer and homicide should not decrease in any way.

If the logic is going to be that everybody packin' will lower the odds of
getting shot, then I see no reason to say that nobody packin' will also
lower those odds.

Either way, put it to a national vote and let all of America decide.

Dan