 Off-Topic / Debate / 11816
Re: *Child* Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:34:19 GMT

I was think more about the real kids that were killed with guns.

What's that supposed to mean?

I shall try again:

I was thinking more about the real kids that were killed with guns - ie
those who were under 16.

Oh...you mean the other reference was to people under 21 or something and you'd
rather be looking at only the younger ones.  Gotcha!

But if we
use your stats. Compare them with the UK figures like you did before. I have
a hunch the death rate in the USA will be 100 times higher than in the UK?
Like I said before, shocking.

OK, show me.  Find the numbers of violent deaths of children for the US and • the
UK and compare them.  I'm not that interested in the number of gun deaths,
because dying from a bullet is no worse than being clubbed (and often • better).
Show me the per capita child death rates and we can talk.

Why? Do you think I am wrong?

Well, if I had the stats to know, I'd post them.  So I don't know.  I suspect
you are wrong mainly because of the strength of your claim.  Two orders of
magnitude is pretty significant.  Maybe there are more child deaths in the US
than the UK and maybe the reverse is true.  I would be very impressed with
finding that the numbers were as far off as you are suggesting.

Chris