 Off-Topic / Debate / 11814
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:48:39 GMT

Amend the constitution? Great. Ignore it, interpret it in direct conflict
with what the founders intended(1)? Nope, not going to support that.

1 - to pick just one example... the interstate commerce clause, introduced
to ensure that states did not impose tariffs on each others goods by
reserving the right to do so to Congress, has been used to justify
regulating anything for any conceivable reason. Not the intent.

  This is another example in which it's useful to recall the context of the
18th century vs. the context of today.  "Interstate" and "commerce" had
strikingly different meanings back then, I suspect, or at least strikingly
different applications.  Is there a document clearly delineating the
"intent" of the authors, or are we inferring their intent based on our
assumptions of what we read today, coupled our attempts to reverse-engineer
the extant document to yield what we hope they meant to say?  That's a
deliberate verbal convolution of course, but it's still the case that 100
modern readers of the Constitution will likely infer 100 different "intents."

     Dave!