 Off-Topic / Debate / 11808
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:53:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Jason J. Railton wrote:
Thinking more about it, it even suggests naïvety in the original document.
It allows the arming of the population to defend against (a) invasion (for
which you now have a standing armed force) and (b) civil insurrection.  Yet,
you've just had it written that the rebel element have the right to arm
themselves too.  So, rather than provide for a right to protest, you've
enshrined a right to civil war in the constitution.

Yes, absolutely, and I don't think that's any misinterpretation. Quoting
from the opening of the Declaration of Independence:

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the
political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the
earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle
them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes
which impel them to the separation.

I think it's pretty clear that the founding fathers recognized that
governments can and will become so corrupt as to require being
overthrown.

Do you think the could conciev how powerful democarcy would come. How
everyone (more or less) would be able to vote? Or do you think they had
events like the French revolution in mind?

Scott A