 Off-Topic / Debate / 11806
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:58:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Scott A wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
"Jason J. Railton" wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
Sure, there's a risk, and children certainly die, but how many children die
in car accidents, I wonder...is anyone advocating the banning of motor
vehicles...?

Generally, it's considered quite hard to carry a concealed automobile into a
public building for the purposes of committing a crime.

And I suppose you think the people committing premeditated crimes own those guns
legally?  And banning handguns would keep them from owning them?

You're not really that naive, are you?

And how many illegally held guns were at one point were in the hands of Joe
Public legally? How many were obtained due to poor storage on the part of
Joe Public (eg under the bed/pillow)?

Probably too many, but you handle that by making the punishment for losing track of a
gun tougher, you don't ban guns when there are already millions out there.

I'd handle that by not giving idiots guns.

How do you diagnose, let alone enforce that?

Test them in some way. Inspect how the store their guns (this happens in the
UK).

Scott A

Scott A

-Duane