 Off-Topic / Debate / 11798
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:32:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

Kind of like the old west, eh?  Oh wait, that was called the Wild West for a
reason.

You'd even more people shooting each other for trivial reasons than they do
now.  God only knows the carnage that would happen on the freeways.

I mean in excess of the current car-nage.  :-)

Let's be realistic here: there is no *carnage*! I don't even agree that we
have a "gun problem". The fact is - *less than* ONE PERCENT of firearms are
used illegally! Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me.

I think you missed the path of the discussion - my comment was based on an
earlier one that said everything would be peaceful and wonderful if
*EVERYONE* walked around with a gun.

Now, as to your statement, I take it you have never had a gun pointed at you
(Smith and Wesson, .38 with a six inch barrel).  Or, like my wife, who had a
cousin shot and killed.

Percentages are meaningless if there are 10 million handguns - 100,000 being
*reported* used illegally (think of all the morons firing live rounds on
July 4th) as a sizeable number.

There are over 200 million guns in the hands of private citizens.

Egads!  You don't think a million-odd guns used illegally is a problem!?!

There are
more than one million incidents of defensives uses of firearms to prevent
violent crimes. 30,000 deaths, while regrettable, is hardly carnage -
considering the largest percentage of those deaths are self inflicted. How
many suicides are committed without guns? As I noted elsewhere, the "under
21" figure includes police shootings of juvenile offenders. So,
realistically, the actual number is more like 15,000 gun deaths. 200 million
guns and only 15,000 deaths - c'mon?!

Like I said, you missed the discussion thread, so none of the above applies
to my comments.

Bruce

January 1997 "Journal of Legal Studies" showed that concealed-carry weapons
permits reduced crime rates.

Switzerland, New Zealand, Finland, and Israel have high gun-ownership rates
and low crime rates.

Isreal has a low crime rate!?!  The body count hits the front page on a
daily basis.

The purpose of these is not for anti-crime (well, not sure about New
Zealand) but for invasion preparation.  All are small population countries
that turn out a large proportion for military duty, with the rather large
difference that they are trained and these are military weapons, not
handguns, and they are not walking about with them.

The banning of guns in the UK was a direct reaction to the tragedy of
Dunblane, the act of a deranged person, not a cool, calculating criminal.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with what you are refering to - handguns in
the UK have been rare for a very long time.

You don't need guns to kill lots of people anyway, take a look at Rwanda,
800,000 people hacked to death in 100 days, a figure unmatched even by the
Nazis.

This misses the point entirely - you can't walk around with a sword as it
is, and in fact illustrates the opposite point (a deadly weapon is a deadly
weapon is a deadly weapon....).

Bruce