 Off-Topic / Debate / 11712
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:21:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
"Jason J. Railton" wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
Sure, there's a risk, and children certainly die, but how many children die
in car accidents, I wonder...is anyone advocating the banning of motor
vehicles...?

Generally, it's considered quite hard to carry a concealed automobile into a
public building for the purposes of committing a crime.

And I suppose you think the people committing premeditated crimes own those guns
legally?  And banning handguns would keep them from owning them?

You're not really that naive, are you?

And how many illegally held guns were at one point were in the hands of Joe
Public legally? How many were obtained due to poor storage on the part of
Joe Public (eg under the bed/pillow)?

Scott A

This is further
complicated by the typical size of vehicle that seems to be favoured by the
American market.

No, that's by soccer moms and yuppies.  I'd like nothing better than to own a
sub-micro screamer, but there's no WAY they'd pass current safety tests, and I'd
be afraid to drive it on the road with the other cars being twice the size.

Of course, one must also reach a certain age and undergo education and
testing in the use of a motor car, to ensure the proper level of responsible
handling.  Controlling one whilst drunk or otherwise impaired constitutes an
offence, as does allowing one to be used by minors.  Can the same be said of
guns?

It depends on the state.  Some require training (or will require it soon) in
order to own a handgun (but not a rifle or shotgun - how stupid is that?  It
should be training for all, or no training for all).

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/