 Off-Topic / Debate / 11704
Re: Laws about sex.... (was something else)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:21:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

If the crime never happened, then there is no reason for anyone to read it
and your rights are protected. The minute a crime is committed, certain
rights are forfeited (freedom for example).

This seems problematic.  The minute a crime is committed, presumably they have
no idea whodunnit.  So who exactly forfeits rights?  And which ones?

I guess I disagree.  Among our rights (which are not forfeited even as a
suspect) are due process.  If a cop has a hunch that you were the murderer, he
can't barge into your home to check your journal.  There has to be some reason
and a judge has to agree.  And even then, certain rules have to be followed.

Chris

What you are saying is very true. I was skipping over a whole lot of details
(due process, search warrent, etc.) and going directly to the loss of
certain rights as a convicted criminal. In jail, certain rights are removed
or reduced. (At least that's how I like to look at it.)

What I was trying to imply is that as soon as a crime is committed, a
criminal should be aware that certain rights will be forfeited if he is
convicted of the crime (through due process, of course). That is the price
that society demands. Even if he is not convicted, but only a suspect, his
entire lifestyle and history will be scrutinized. To me that is still a
forfeiture of rights, albeit temporarily and through due process.

-Duane