 Off-Topic / Debate / 11702
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:27:37 GMT

In the spirit of not trying to pick a fight, I'll include my opinion to this
topic and hope for the best...

Is it true that Hitler managed to remove weapons from the common people in
Germany sometime before he went on his mad killing spree?  And perhaps
Stalin as well?

I'm gonna search the web a bit today and see if I can find a site that
offers this information, but I don't know if I'll have any luck...I know
it's out there somewhere though.

In light of this (if it's true or something similiar is) I am all for
keeping guns or any other choice of personal defense on hand...as far as I
can tell, weapons are best suited for self defense from an opposing force,
specifically invading governments, and sometimes your own government may
your worst enemy.

Sure, there's a risk, and children certainly die, but how many children die
in car accidents, I wonder...is anyone advocating the banning of motor
vehicles...?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
I think the basic idea is having the handguns leaves the likely possibility
of being shot with one. Plus, the way our media portrays violence with
handguns, it creates a climate where the possibility is even more likely.
Getting rid of the handguns and automatic weapons will lower the odds,
that's just common sense.

I say to hell with the NRA and just ban all handguns and automatic weapons.
If those NRA scumbags want to hide behind the Constitution, just know that
it was written in the days of muzzle loaders. The right to bear arms needs
to be specific, just by virtue of those startling statistics you offered.
These NRA bastards don't seem to understand that it's called "amendment"
because it can be "amended." They had no problem changing their term limit
rule to accomodate Charlton "Soylent Green" Heston for another term as their
president.

Make handguns and automatic weapons illegal. Or as comedian Eddie Izzard
says: "Keep the guns and get rid of the bullets." If someone has one, turn
it in and be reimbursed by the Fed or donate it to a museum if it's
considered an artifact. Then if anyone is ever found with one, make it hefty
fine along with confiscation and destruction of the weapon. Keep rifles and
shotguns, since the NRA is the National *RIFLE* Association anyway. Those
weapons are harder to conceal and stats show handguns are the firearm of
choice in violent crimes and murders.

Dan