 Off-Topic / Debate / 11650
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:33:18 GMT

I think pornography is a good tool for parents to demonstrate sex when
they're too shy to do so in person.

It sounds like Scott objects to the commission of certain acts or
certain production aspects of popular pornography.  I certainly agree that
children shouldn't be subjected to bad porn.  But if they can keep their
story line together, what's the problem?

The stereotypical porn movie is demeaning to woman.

How so?  Consumer demographics are highly male.  Thus, the adult cinema is
geared toward the satisfaction of male sexual fantasy and desire.  To whatever
extent the activities depicted are less than perfectly representitive of norml
life (that is the point, after all) they will be geared to appeal to men,
rather than women.  But I'm not sure about it being demeaning in any analysis.

If I were to teach
anyone sex education, it would be more than a functional analysis.

By this, do you mean that it would include a functional analysis and then some?
Or do you mean, that like most sex ed, it would completely neglect the
functional analysis?  (I'm assuming that functional analysis means the
mechanics of the thing; "you put this part here and do this with it" etc.)

Sex
education should, at the very least, be in the context some sort of well
formed mutual relationship

What exactly does 'well formed' mean?  I'm thinking you mean, that they know
each other well..?  Would you assert that it would be somehow improper for me
to drive to New York City (about an hour away) to visit a sex club where I
would meet and copulate with strangers?  What makes it so?  Why does _your_
vision of what appropriate sex is count more than mine?

– not a liaison with the plumber. But perhaps
Chris was right to call me a prude.

If your plumber is apealing and game, then why not?  perhaps so.

Perhaps the US's fascination with gun culture would be
lessened if the movies depicted the full horror of what they can do -
rather than depict the usual band-aid type wounds.

I wish that movies would more acutely depict what happens to societies when
violence becomes the norm.  Maybe then, all the personal violence in the UK
would start to recede and you folks would be able to live more safely.  I'm
sure glad that I don't have to worry the way y'all must.

Trouble maker.

Obviously my goal was to tweak you (in a friendly way), but that doesn't change
the fact that I am also serious.  Since I dug up the statistics published by
the government of the UK that the chance of being violently victimized is much
greater over there (England and Wales, actually) than it is here, I've been
milking it every time someone makes one of their wisecracks about the US gun
culture.

I expect you mean this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_810000/810522.stm

It is worth noting that in some areas of the UK tossing a stone at a window
counts as attempted burglary.

Scott A

Chris