 Off-Topic / Debate / 11432
Re: Validity testing (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 14:58:16 GMT

:
I would sum up by saying that it is not all gray, and no *distinct* line
exists (ie: one that can be precisely articulated).

Ah- I would are *similarly*. I.E. that a line *does* exist yet is next to
impossible to find accurately.

  To-may-to, to-mah-to, I guess!  The difference in our view seems to come
down to this: I support a "transitional range" within which distinction is
made between one state and another (be it "happiness/unhappiness" or
"rights/not-rights"), while you seem to support a "point or line" that moves
dependent upon a number of situational factors.  The end result, I think, is
the same!

Neither do I really-- that's why I said it only works if you define it
differently. I really rather like the hot/cold example better though,
because it's so much more tangible.

heh.  Maybe I should have said 63% good, 37% evil, for an even *more*
intangible example...  8^)

I would argue that happiness and unhappiness *are* in the utterly specific,
mutually exclusive. . . With respect to the specific *aspects* of the events,
I would say that happiness and unhappiness *are* mutually exclusive.

  Agreed.  If we can cite a "point" for which only one emotional state is
possible, then happiness and unhappiness cannot coexist within that point.

  Wow.  We've been debating through a dozen and a half exchanges, and it
turns out we were agreeing.  Kooky!

     Dave!