 Off-Topic / Debate / 11401
Re: Validity testing (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:20:54 GMT

    - Within bounds: animals are not "self-aware" by Larry's definitions

Just as a quick note, I'm not sure I've given such a definition, other than
by example ("I know it when I see it", or so I think). I'm open to someone
trying to give one, I suspect it's a thorny problem. (the circular
definition "you're self aware if you know you're self aware" is tempting but
not particularly useful as a metric for measuring)

(is the fictional character Ping-chan in www.MegaTokyo.com self aware???
Dunno.  She's showing emotions but that could just be her programming)

Some will no doubt cite this as example of my laxness. Whatever. Guess what,
I don't have all the answers. Never said I did. (1) Deal.

1 - coming off as smug < not necessarily == > claiming to have all the
answers. One can be pretty comfortable with one's path and choices without
necessarily having a rock solid foundation all the way down to the core.
Bridges DO get built across swamps without needing to find bedrock. I think
there's bedrock down there but haven't gone digging in every direction
necessary to prove it. The bridge is floating on its supports just fine.

++Lar