 Off-Topic / Debate / 11375
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 17:46:35 GMT

Excellent. As I've advocated many times, taking something to the extreme is
the only way to test its validity. If it doesn't hold at the extremes, it
doesn't hold.

I think I see your point, Dave. But I'm sure you'd agree the validity of
something (an action or idea) is often situational and cannot be
judged/argued if it happens in extremes or abolute vacuum. Nature abhores a
vacuum (and a dustbuster as well) ;^P  I think the context of the situation
validates or invalidates action or condition, not in of itself. For example,
yelling at a loved is not very nice, but in an emergency like a house on
fire, you'll be yelling like crazy because of the tense situation. So,
there's a certain grace extended to situational behavior. Kids using
profanity is wrong to me but if a kid stubs a toe and blurts a few choice
words, I'm not going to make a fuss.

A side note about "rights": They change and evolve to suit our times and
even selfish purposes. As far as I've learned, in feudal Japan it was the
emperor's "right" to have any woman he wished, including married women. The
"right" of course was backed up with force. But, didn't our revolution for
the "rights" we demanded from England involve the use of force? So, the
situation or context is what we base validity on, not the act itself. It can
easily twisted too, and we have people like Hitler and Pol Pot as examples.

I think believing animals do not have rights, that animals are somehow
beneath us or our God given servants, is downright ignorant. WE are animals,
that is a scientific fact. We live and we die. We eat, sleep, and bleed. We
are not immortal. We ARE very sophisticated, but so is nature. Food for thought.

Dan