 Off-Topic / Debate / 11369
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 08:18:58 GMT

No no, your position on whether animals are moral/immoral OR amoral. Do you
think they are moral/immoral or amoral?

None. Calling an animal moral/immoral/amoral is anthropomorphic - that
belongs in childrens books.

Ah, excellent. But then see below.

I'm glad *you* can understand what "none" means.

If your position is in fact the one above then you wouldn't be allowing
yourself to even HAVE an opinion on the issue, and yet above you attribute
amorality to the wildebeest's action, and at the same time disagree with
Larry, which means you hold that animals MAY be moral, allowing for
attribution of moral consideration.

You can perhaps save yourself by saying that you meant that the ACTION, but
not the ANIMAL is amoral, but then you still run into the issue above.

I can't find the post you refer to.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=11305

And for those (like me) who hate to follow links:

Scott:
There is nothing amoral about a lion killing a wilder beast with all its

Chris:
I think there is.  Neither the lion nor the wildebeest is concerned with
morality.  It is an action completely without moral regard.  It is therefore
amoral.  But not immoral.

Scott:
I agree. But calling the lion, in this case, amoral makes it sound like it
has a choice?

So, in that case, perhaps I should ask this: Were you wrong to agree? Or
were to agreeing with something else? Were you agreeing that amorality is
not immorality? Was that even an issue? Sounded to me like you were agreeing
that the lion's action in such a case was amoral, seeing as that was the
point being discussed.

You are correct, it is not all that clear what I mean (from my perspective).
I was agreeing that the lion's view can not be viewed within a moral
framework, but I also think they should not be compared to one. I think it
is misleading to do so. Despite that, I admit that before this debate I
would have agreed that a lion’s own morals as we understand them. But now I
will go further than that and say we should not compare the way they
(animals) make decisions to our morals in anyway.

Ah, so all morality is conceited? If not, please clarify.

No, inferring ones own morals on others is. If an individual makes a
donation to a charity they deem worthy - good for them. But it is wrong of
them to pass judgement on me for not doing the same.

So morality is only useful insofar as how we judge ourselves? It would be
conceited, rude, and incorrect to assume me being immoral for torturing a
baby?

You are taking an argument to its illogical extreme. None of us like to be
told that our morals do not live up to the high standard of others. To a
large extent, it is up to us how to live our lives, and I am not about to
pass judgement on anyone because they to not live to my moral standards. Do you?

How about if I *told* you I felt immoral? Can you *then* pass
judgement on *me* based on *my* morality?

No.

Ah. So judging by the moral standards of society, we arrive at a morality
which is not conceited?

No, we arrive at a set of moral which has been reached, one would hope,
after some sort of informed debate - not a gut reaction.

Are individual morals restricted to gut reactions? Do people's individual
moral senses change with respect to informed debates? Is the issue, then,
not that individual morality *is* concieted, but that "gut reactions" or
"knee-jerk" morality is conceited?

Individual morals, I expect, flow mainly from our parents and/or religion. I
do not think that  individual morality is necessarily conceited, but I can
see how it could be argued that it is.

In order to avoid conceit we must judge according to
that which others believe, and not ourselves, at least not solely?

To avoid conceit, one only has to be modest.

So by being modest, one can avoid conceit-- but it is impossible to be
modest with respect to others?

It is possible to be modest and respect others.

To what extent are we a member of that society?

I vote. I pay tax. I work for the good of my society. I rely on it. It
relies on me. I am a member.

Exactly. If you're saying that we can't judge on our *own* moral codes, but
instead must rely on social ones, aren't we at least in *part* relying on
our own moral codes, being a part of that society? To what extent do we
contribute to that code?

That it is up to us.

And being a conceited code, does it not make the
social moral code conceited? And since *everyone's* moral codes are
conceited, are not all the contributors to the social code conceited? Is not
social code conceited? If not, then why say that not all morality is >conceited?

I do not think morality is conceited, I think moralising is. I *personally*
may not believe in sex before marriage (say) - it does not mean I have to
think any less of anyone for doing so. One could say the same about
vegetarianism. I have a lot of respect fore people who are able to stick to
a vegetarian diet, but I do get annoyed when I am told “meat is murder”.

Can we pass judgement on society?

Why not? Some societies are clearly questionable.

Isn't passing judgement on soceity conceited and wrong of us?

That depends, I think we have to respect cultural morals as much as we can.
But I am quite happy for the moral code which is devloping in Afghanistan
right now is being judged.

How about the abscence of society? Whose society?

Now I get when you are taking about. Great societies, just like great
cultures, differ a great deal. One should try to respect this (if possible).
It is no big deal. It is called tolerance.

No no-- you implied that a societal moral code was "better" somehow than our
own personal moral code. Is it? What about when societies differ? Or is
*each* societal moral code better than *each* individual moral code?

I suppose that is what laws are for. If we all followed the same moral code,
we would not need them I expect.

Scott A

DaveE