 Off-Topic / Debate / 11323
Re: Nature of rights? (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:36:21 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I freely admit that when I've dug into this before (this does come up
periodically) I was unable to provide a firm axiom to justify the notion of
natural rights (as I define them) and did get rather wrapped around the axle
on how to tell which rights were natural and which were cultural...

I was exploring the idea that perhaps the only fundamental right is the
right to an impartial "rights based" mediation of disputes. This does
suggest why animals then don't specifically have rights since they don't
have the capability to participate in a mediated dispute. Of course
someone can participate on their behalf, but then you have to convince
everyone involved that you do really represent the animal.

I guess the question to explore is can you build all other "rights" from
this right of mediation. On the flip side, is there any situation where
you don't have a right to mediation?

Unfortunately I'm way too burried in work to really explore this.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com