 Off-Topic / Debate / 11308
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:40:17 GMT

There is nothing amoral about a lion killing a wilder beast with all its
might – it is its natural right to do so.

Look up the difference between amoral and immoral. There is nothing
*immoral* about it, but it most certainly IS amoral, unless you think
animals reason about morality and make ethical decisions.

What is you point?

(To Ross, it's
more reasonable to ask that you prove this happens than that I prove it
doesn't, partly because you're asking me to prove the negative and partly
because your claim would be the more far fetched)

To Ross : Don't expect Larry to justify anything.

Then explain how the lion's "right", which clearly conflicts with the
wildebeest's "right" to live, is still a right.
Larry, what are you taking about? Do you suggest the lion should eat grass?
Or that the wildebeest should carry a gun?

My point is that rights
don't conflict, and that animals do not use a system of rights in working
things out.

Same as what? The same as you? Do you expect them to have a panel of
politically appointed judges to fudge decisions?

They are amoral. Like I said to Dan, if you disagree, your
understanding of rights, in my opinion, is suspect.

By extension, anything you say ABOUT rights is therefore suspect as well, in
my opinion.

Nice tirade Larry.

Scott A