 Off-Topic / Debate / 11271
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 13:15:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

Whether you like the job or not, I can't see how you CAN'T see it as >punishment to give PFT to parents and not to single people.  I just can't
understandd it - try to convince me that it's not a punishement to deny a >benefit to others.

Wow those are long lines.

OK, Tom. I personally have been in jobs that I hated and jobs that I liked.
This may be quibbling with words but I don't see benefits or the lack of
them as "punishment". Punishment is typically something meted out to someone
who has no choice about receiving it or not, and it tends to be "punitive"
rather than "beneficial".

Except to the extent that businesses are forced to give benefits to certain
classes or groups by law (which you know how I feel about), benefits aren't
punishment.

I agree with you that it's unfair to offer substantially better benefits
though... unfair but something I'd like to see companies be allowed to try.

++Lar