 Off-Topic / Debate / 11264
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:13:40 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Women usually CHOOSE to get pregnant.  I don't think they should get PAID >time off for a medical condition they CHOSE to have.

But isn't that a grey area, Tom? How do you prove if it was a choice or not
to get pregnant, yet alone a choice or not to even have sex?

You obviously haven't read the rest of the thread, where I state that choosing to BECOME pregnant isn't really the issue anyways.  Choosing
to STAY pregnant is (and I think that choice is solely up to the woman).

I think it
would be hard to prove and/or a waste of time and money even trying. I say
give women the time off with pay for the good grace of humanity.

Sure, give them the time off.  Just give EVERYONE the time off.

If a woman is a good full-time, salaried employee who pays her dues and
makes a positive contribution to the organization, it would defy basic human
decency to withhold pay while she has her child.

Funny thing - most businesses need to show a profit to keep in BUSINESS.  Paying someone while they aren't working (for something that is
their CHOICE) impacts the bottom line.  You either should give everyone that time off and factor it into the cost of business, or take the
realistic view that if someone works 9 months of a year, maybe they should get 9 months pay.

Yes, technically the
employer is not paying the employee for time spent working but doesn't it
build a better, more cohesive business to support the employee in her family
life? What message do we send as a society by seemingly not caring for her
as a human being after she goes home?

What message do we send to the women who don't get pregnant, work the same job, and get the exact same pay, even though they work the full
year?  "You don't deserve anything more for your extra work".   That's the wrong message to send.

Likewise if a woman is an hourly employee and the company policies prevent
compensation for pregnancy, then the state or federal government could step
in to reimburse the employer or the employee directly.

That could be a separate thread.

I'll tell you this, I think industrial, corporate American society has
warped our views on the very nature of being people and we've lost respect
for our need and right to reproduce. I think women have the hardest time and
it seems like the role as a mother and nurturer has lost it's appeal, like
it's a "less successful career option." I have a positive view on parenthood
and, if I were the big cheese someday, I'd support it 100% because I think
doing so improves our society in general.

I have no problem whatsoever with maternity leave.  As long as you give EVERYONE the chance to take 1/3/6 months off PTO.  Otherwise, you're
punishing men (and women who don't get pregnant) by paying the same amount for vastly different amounts of work hours.

I also don't think parents should get paid Flex Time while denying it to adults without children.  Again, they CHOSE to have kids, and
rewarding them for it/punishing others for NOT having kids just isn't right.

But how are non-parents really "punished?"

What's so hard to understand about this?  If you give someone paid Flex Time for spending Quality Time with their kids, and don't give PFT
to people without kids, you are punishing them (unless you pay them more for not getting PFT).  Is that so hard to understand?

Doesn't the need justify the
expense in this case? Again, what message do we send as a society by not
accomodating the needs of parents?

What message do we send by rewarding people who have kids on the job, while punishing those who choose not to?  That you're less than others
for not having kids?

I guess my point is I don't really think of it as being sexist because the
actual issue isn't someone's sex, it's their severity of physical ailment
which may or may not affect their work performance. It just happens to be
the case that women get it, and not men. And yes, if it *does* negatively
affect their work performance, then either they need to be negatively
compensated, or those who don't use it should be positively compensated.
Whether that's by extra time off, money, etc, is fair game to be decided,
but it needs to be there to reflect the quality of work. If it *doesn't*
affect their work performance (for some jobs this would be true), then no
compensation is needed. IMHO.

I agree.

If you define pregnancy as a physical ailment then you create a negative
paradigm of something that is completely POSITIVE. Pregnancy is a natural
and normal part of the human life-cycle. It is not an ailment and should not
be referred to as such. As a society, I think our morals on the matter need
fixing otherwise good, hard-working families will suffer and struggle when
they really don't need to. By extending a hand we recoupe the cost in
loyalty and esteem. Isn't that an important, almost intangible ingredient in
any successful organization?

Sure.  But if you don't apply the PTO/PFT to people not having kids, you are damaging loyalty and esteem for those who choose NOT to have
kids.

You're making it seem like it's bad to NOT have kids.  Prove to me otherwise by your statements above.

I've had girlfriends that were basically incapacitated by migraines and other side effects of PMS, and I think they should definitely
be able to take time off.  I just don't think (in general) that it should be PTO, especially if it's known to happen consistently every
month, unless you then give everyone equal sick days (if the company has a strict limit of sick days), or pay them less because they
will be working less.

Nature has it's reasons and we have to work around them without being
punitive about it. Reproduction shouldn't be looked down on, we here are the
result of it for one reason or another. I know population growth is a
concern of yours, Tom, so perhaps that contributes to a negative association
with pregnancy?

No.  I have no problem with responsible procreation (I do, however, think that people that spit out kids left and right need a stern talking
to).

Why should those that choose NOT to procreate be looked down on?  Your stance seems to be that they should (prove otherwise by your
statements above).

On a side note, all we really need is more women doctors and researchers (because men simply can't relate) so that they can work on PMS
side effects to find a good battery of drugs to handle the various problems.  There are some good ones out there, but none are anywhere
near perfect.

But again, we look at it negatively, like it's something wrong or bad. It
isn't, it's just a natural part of womanhood and serves a positive purpose.

You're not a woman - ask a woman who has bad PMS if she thinks it serves a positive purpose.  In fact, ask her while she's under the effects
(I have had the misfortune of "discussing" it then - trust me, you DON'T want to).  You'd better be prepared to run FAST.

I don't think more drugs is the best answer since those drugs can have worse
effects on the body. We shouldn't fall for the bullsh*t doctorly terms like
"aggressive management." I think it's better to let nature do it's work and
humanely intervene in cases of severe trauma and/or abnormality.

In some cases, yes, in some, no.  If we COULD produce a Miracle Drug that got rid of the bad effects without harm (if you read the entire
thread, you'd see we ARE talking about a Miracle Drug, no side effects from the drug), are you saying we shouldn't?  Seems so.   Better not
say that to a group of women unless you have several fast exits planned out.