 Off-Topic / Debate / 11262
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 02:49:00 GMT

But (as I mentioned earlier on) there are jobs where it matters. My friend
works data entry. And particularly, she's one of 2 people who knows how to
do a particular part of that job.

Truck factor 2!!! That company is asking for trouble. :-) She needs to ask
for a big raise at the same time her co worker does. :-)

Yeah-- their company has... issues. Their turnover rate is silly. Someone
came into her department on their first day of work. The next day she called
in to quit. Now *that's* turnover! Suffice to say my friend's looking for
new work, and the company's been looking for 3rd and 4th persons to fill the
position for... quite some time now. They're headed for trouble. :)

The question is does it affect productivity? If not, why not do it? If so,
why do it? Or why not do it? Should we empathize with women the way we
empathise with people with families? Doesn't my boss (who has kids) get more
benefits through the company than I would being his level? (And don't try to
persnick out the fact that we "pay" for benefits-- the monetary value of all
his kids' doctor visits, etc. far outweighs the difference in what we "pay"
for them respectively)

Not sure I was going to persnick... :-)

Wasn't directed at you-- I was just waiting for someone (nobody in mind) to
come in and say "But he looses more in his paycheck than you thanks to his
increased benefits! You're equally treated!" No.

I think someone could (unfortunately) raise a complaint that it was
discriminatory. And we all know how I feel about *that* charge, right?
Restriction of free trade, restriction of free association.

Yeah, it'd have to be very delicately done in order to avoid such a charge.
And even then it'd be tough. In honesty, I think the only companies that
would work for would be very *small* companies with very little hiring going
on-- very low turnover rate, and pretty much a workplace of friends. As soon
as it's opened to a larger crowd, it gets difficult to avoid a conflict.

DaveE