 Off-Topic / Debate / 11213
Re: Is it.....?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:32:45 GMT

Steven Lane wrote:

I wanna know

Is it the WINNING, OR the TAKING PART that matters!!!!?

Steve

Hmm.... I guess it depends on the contest. I mean, take the following
three examples:

1) The Lottery. This is self evident-Winning is the only thing that
matters. If you don't win, you don't get nay feeling of satisfaction or
accomplishment-"Woohoo! I just wasted a buck!" But if you WIN then you
have Millions upon Billions of dollars to spend on LEgo. (OK, maybe not
if you are only playing scratchers).

2) An artistic competition. This is more convoluted. For many (myself
included) the act of participating and expressing yourself (through
dance, painting, sculpting, etc.) is the reward. To be whipping out
piourettes, grand jetes and amazing lifts in front of a packed house is
a reward in and of itself. To "win" the competition is just icing on the
cake. The fact that you are putting yourself into the work, and giving
it your own sense of nuance and aesthetic value makes the experience of
putting it out there that much more rewarding.

3) A physical competition/sporting event. It is my opinion, from the
various non-professional teams and competitions I've been on, that more
physical events tend to have the WIN as a more rewarding experience than
the actualy experience. As great as it is to work together as a team,
and create synergy on the field, ultimately it's the win that is the
reward. Not often do you hear in the locker room after a loss that
everyone feels great because they played well together. The same is true
for individuals, such as runners and swimmers. The win and setting new
records is more rewarding than competing in the event.

To sum it up, the more artistic involvement you have in the event, the
more vested you are in the experience, the greater the reward of being
part of it. When the outcome is determined purely by chance, or more
through who's stronger or faster or has better technique, then the win
is what matters.

--
Just another ¢2
Matt Brooks