 Off-Topic / Debate / 1114
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 22:13:06 GMT

On Mon, 31 May 1999 23:10:10 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following
profundities...
<snipped for brevity>
So is a scumbag's life worth any of my possesions?  Nope.  My
possesions are worth a lot more to me.  If the scumbag's life meant
something to him, he should have picked another line of work.

May sound harsh, but who is to tell me that I owe some loser who would
violate my home anything?

Perhaps I might have worded it more specifically, such as you surprise
a burglar, wearing shorts, no shirt, holding a tv or castle in
both hands, and very obviously not holding a weapon. :)

A relief that you claim to be a responsible gun owner. No
doubt instilled in you from your army service. Of less

Well, I actually don't "claim" to be a responsible gun owner.  I've
owned firearms for 6 years now, never used them on another living
thing even once, even when presented with angry people and when
feeling a little bit of anger myself.  I am a responsible gun owner.

You are, you claim, whatever. I am not in a position to validate,
and confirm, by yours or anyone elses standards of what may
constitue "responsible." However, "knowing" you as I do, plus
the fact that you did military service, leads me to believe
that you are in fact, responsible.

relief is your unrestrained hostility and criticism on any
views and opinions, not necessarily restricted to this
thread.

This is a highly charged topic, and you yourself admitted to posting
things that were intentionally controversial.  If you say things to
inflame, be prepared for the heat.  Otherwise, well, the kitchen door
is always open.

Heat isn't a problem. Heat was desired. Use of controversial postings was
designed to bring out more people, such as those that might prefer
to sit on the fence. I have been around RTL/Lugnet long enough to know
how the regulars will react, but some of those sit on the fence, now,
too. I was really upset Jesse didn't jump in. Probably just tired of
being the Jolly Jingoist!:) Or content to let others say much the same.

There was originally a smiley with the above statement, BTW. The intent
was to provoke a response, just to see the reaction. So I removed it!

I am extremely opinionated.  I'm also almost always right (haven't
quite attained Larry's level of perfection yet).  Nature and history
don't combine to make me come across as filled with sweetness and nice
when it comes to discussing controversial issues.

We all are. So is everyone. Everyone has a different method.

You're entitled to your opinion on this and every other issue.  You're
also entitled to be wrong, which you almost certainly are if you
disagree about the substantive issues that Larry, John, myself, and a
few others have discussed.

I am  not wrong, and nor are you. We just live in different circumstances,
which leads us to believe that we are wrong, and we are right.

As for hostility, I'd say that's a bit off.  Hostility (to me) implies
anger and almost a desire to hurt someone.  I haven't been angry
enough to want to hurt anyone for a long time.

Well, to some, some responses seem angry. Anger doesn't
always lead to hurting someone! Hostility also means opposition, BTW,
though not how I had actually used it.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/