 Off-Topic / Debate / 1108
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 22:00:36 GMT

"Christopher L. Weeks" wrote:

Mike Stanley wrote:

Richard Dee <richard.dee@virgin.net> wrote:
If someone breaks into my home with the intention of taking what is
mine or harming me or my family, he will more than likely be shot to
death, as he deserves.  If someone smashes my car on the road
(happened twice now) he won't even get a rise out of me - my insurance
company will take care of it.

To death? Someone's life is worth a yellow lego castle or a television?
Even an "eye for an eye, life for life" philosophy would suggest
that as being "over-kill" for something as trivial as theft. (Trivial
when compared to murder). The car, what if they deliberately rammed you?

If I were a mindreader and could know what I was dealing with was a
petty thief who wanted nothing more than my television or my toys,
then MAYBE, just maybe I wouldn't shoot him to death.

Right.  Just pop a cap in each knee and let the f@*#er get away easy.  :-)

Ha, so he could go find himself a bloodsucker and sue *you*!!  And he'd prolly
win.  It's the American Way...

Given the fact that I would more than likely be relying as much on
instinct and reflexes as anything else, I don't think I'd take the
time to have a little chat with the scumbag to determine if he was
going to a) rob me, b) kidnap me or my wife, c) rape me or my wife, d)
kill us, or e) any or all of the above.

No, I'd just blow him away.  Thieves are scum just like rapists or
murderers.

So is a scumbag's life worth any of my possesions?  Nope.  My
possesions are worth a lot more to me.  If the scumbag's life meant
something to him, he should have picked another line of work.

Right.  Ya pays ya money ya takes ya chances.  The burgler chose a line
of work that was likely to be short-lived.

May sound harsh, but who is to tell me that I owe some loser who would
violate my home anything?

A relief that you claim to be a responsible gun owner. No
doubt instilled in you from your army service. Of less

Well, I actually don't "claim" to be a responsible gun owner.  I've
owned firearms for 6 years now, never used them on another living
thing even once, even when presented with angry people and when
feeling a little bit of anger myself.  I am a responsible gun owner.

Oops, maybe I was wrong in my earlier note.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA