 Off-Topic / Debate / 1097
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 02:21:22 GMT

Terry K <legoverse@geocities.com> wrote:
Besides,
I'd rather see the guilty working their butts off to give their victims
restitution instead of fried. (I know, in prisons as they are today, it
costs money to incarcerate. Doesn't have to be that way...)

They don't have to make license plates. They could be making low-tech
electronics, as currently typically hand-made in the East.

Or they could be put to work staffing phones for airline reservations.
Handling credit card transactions for unsuspecting travelers.

Oh, wait.  Been done.  Stupid idea.  :-/

I'd say prisoners should be put to hard physical labor.

I've always pictured the most appropriate and just prison as one that
in many ways resembles what I lived in during basic training in the
Army.

Very tight "living quarters" with no options for personalization and
almost no thought given to comfort.

Early rising to a brief breakfast then on to lots of work.

A brief lunch followed by lots of work.

A brief dinner followed by some more work, then lights out.

I'm personally unconcerned with whether the work is productive or not,
although I can see economic benefits to having them produce items like
furniture and stuff.  At least those prisoners who can look forward to
release - get them used to work as a tradesman of some sort so they
might have a better chance of being self-sufficient after prison.

The lifers, though, I'd like to see them move rocks from one side of
the road to another, or paint them one color or another, or any number
of other mind-numbing tasks.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide