 Off-Topic / Debate / 10848
Re: Libertarian Propaganda
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 02:30:12 GMT

Economic imperialism, whatever that might be, surely doesn't fall within
*this* libertarian's definition of what an appropriate national interest
ought to be. Can you define what you mean a bit more?

In the good old days it was colonialism and empire building--theft and
occupation of other lands and exploitation of the native people and
resources. We can't do that anymore today, everybody is watching everybody,
so we build an economic empire to dominate other countries. Classic
colonialism is out, economic imperialism is in. Look at what's happening in
Israel with the Zionist European colonists ("Jewish settlers") trying to
steal and occupy Arab lands, and exploit the Arabs for labor, etc.

We ought to honor the rights of all who are in our borders,
citizens or not. We ought to expect and hope that other nations feel the
same way. But when american citizens venture outside our borders, they are,
unfortunately, on their own. That is, they ought not to have the expectation
that they will be fished out of trouble by military intervention if they
venture to unsafe places. (note that US embassies are "within our borders")

We need to, within reason, respect the laws and customs of other nations and
societies. Our country has stepped on so many toes in the past few decades
that we have earned the reputation of being arrogant and greedy. It's no
wonder that so many countries have a hostile view toward Americans. Here's
an intersting thing I noticed: When America and it's so-called coalition
forces was bombing the crap out Iraq in 1991, there were American reporters
strolling around Baghdad, interviewing people, giving live reports and so
on. I wonder what would happen to an Iraqi reporter in a U.S. city that was
being bombed by the Iraqis? I think we know what would happen.

I'm not sure I agree that America is the biggest or worst (did you mean
*ever*, or just at the moment or what? I think the SovUnion had us sussed by
billions of victims (yes, I said billions)) but I agree that bullying needs
to stop.

In my opinion, at the moment we are the biggest. We may not yet be up there
with the world's great tyrants, but I think we're close behind. An objective
look at the facts will reveal so many American crimes against humanity and
nature, as a nation and as individuals.

Indeed it does and I would start the same place you would, lifting all
sanctions against all countries. Or did you only want to lift some but not
all?

There are different types of sanctions. If certain sanctions bring suffering
and death to innocent people, then those must must be dropped. Our sanctions
against Iraq serve to destroy the nation by crippling and starving the
people. Our sanctions target food, medicine, and vital supplies that
maintain Iraq's infrastructure and essential functions such as water,
sewage, electricity, and transportation. The death of the innocent is not a
side effect, it is a deliberate part of the sanctions, which have been in
place for over 10 years. It is plain murder.

Would you support sanctions against Israel, for example, if they were
lifted against everyone else?

No sanctions, just stop the aid. Tell me this: Why do we pour billions of
dollars of American tax payer money to support Israel? Israel, a Zionist
state occupying stolen land and oppressing and exploiting the native people?
Stop the aid. There is such a thing as non-cooperation, isn't there? We are
better off not cooperating with evil.

Dan