 Off-Topic / Debate / 10536
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 23:28:42 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Now, let's try to stay on topic. I have an open mind about this. I am not
sure that the conventional prescription of ownership works for migratory
animals. Hence my interest in exploring this. If you don't want to bring an
open mind and work through examples, your time would be better spent elsewhere.

While ownership of many things seems problematical, I think free market
forces do work in environmental protections. I feel pretty confident
that in a general sense, those nations with more market freedom have
more concern for the environment. While we can list specific counter
examples (like energy consumption in the US, or the "first world" in
general), I think looking at the whole picture shows a higher degree of
environmental concern.

I can't find the exact cite right now, but an extension of Maslow's
'Hierarchy of needs' implies that environmental awareness(1) and the
desire to protect it typically does not arrise in a society until that
society reaches some level of affluence.

there is a hypothesis that states citizens do not begin to care about
the state of their environment until their society reaches

Also, while much of the environmental concern is driven by regulation, I
would point out that while current US politics are not pure Libertarian
or free market, they are driven in part by free market forces. Thus, the
protective legislation we have is there because "consumer and corporate
greed" DON'T win out completely in our fairly free market such as it is.

I'm wondering if there is an avenue towards understanding how wildlife
and other "natural resources" fit into the free market by exploring why

For the purposes of this discussion, I suggest we use the umbrella term,
'natural capital' to describe wildlife, plants, etc.

we need property. I see two major reasons to have property:
- it provides a reward for those who work towards the common goals of
society
- it provides a way to assign responsibility for proper maintenance of
the property

I agree.

An important element of the 2nd reason is that it allows for efficient
management because you know who is responsible so they can make the
decision, and if they don't, you can hold them responsible for the
consequences.

Let's construct an example. Let's say we have a valley in California
where we have heavy seasonal rains which tend to cause the hills around
the valley to try and fill in the valley. If no one has ownership of
either the valley or the hills, yet civilized people are trying to live
there, chaos will ensue when their homes in the valley get covered by
mud from the hillside, or the hillside homes slide into the valley. If
we have ownership, then the valley dwellers can seek compensation from
the hillside dwellers if they hillside dwellers have done something to
destabilize the hillside (probably building houses and putting lawns
with shallow rooted grasses will make the hillside more unstable than
the native brush which used to be there, also, the roads and houses will
reduce the amount of hillside soil which can abosorb the water). We can
also place blame on the valley dwellers. They chose to live in a valley
which really isn't very condusive to modern styles of habitation (it
might work perfectly well for older styles of habitation where you build
simple houses which can be put up in a day or two, and as such, are
easily replaced, perhaps these people are living there because the
annual renewal of the soil provides a very fertile valley to grow in).

I may not be remembering this correctly, but were there landslides a few
years ago in northern California that destroyed personal property that
was caused by logging on top of the mountain?  Actually, during the big
floods in N. Carolina last year(or was it the year before) I heard on
NPR that some stream in some town was flooding and one of the people
interviewed said the smartest thing I ever heard in a news report about
a flood- he mentioned all the parking lots draining right into the
stream from a string of new development along the waterway.  Could part
of the flood be blamed on the developer? Probably.  Will it happen?  I
don't think so.

-chris