 Off-Topic / Debate / 10467
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 07:38:26 GMT

You've precisely identified my objection; we (as a society) can't seem to
agree that the Libertopian idea is the way to implement the changes we've
discussed.  Further, given that the problems that exist now would continue to
exist in the new system, the realities of a rough transition period, coupled
with the uncertainty of attempting an unprecedented societal structure, many
people are simply unwilling to risk it all for the sake of a minority's
economic theories. I'm not saying I have a better solution, of course, but
until something concrete, reliable, and widely-accepted can be put forth, few
people are going to support such drastic change.

Fair enough.

Libertopia, though, is  more of a thought experiment to examine ways to make
changes than a thoroughly serious proposal for (relatively) instantaneous
change. Certainly having it happen (all at once) to as large a nation as the
US isn't particularly likely.

But nations can, and do, move in libertarian directions. We have seen this.
It's not a monontonic function, there are fits and starts. But freedom and
markets ARE on the ascendancy.

You say this like the two are related? Sure you be more free to work longer
hours to pay for basics. But think about the lives of those across the
developing world on which the West’s "freedoms" are reliant.

Or so it seems to me, anyway.

Further, I would like to see conditions change to the extent that a new
nation could be tried, if the participants were willing. Unfortunately that
can't currently happen here on Earth, since there seems to be a (defacto)
cartel in place preventing new entrants. Talk about your ultimate barrier to
entry into the marketplace (of governments).

If you read around a bit. You'll find that libertarians did try to set up
their own nation (in the 70's I think). I think it was called the Minerva
Project(?).

But there are other places than Earth. We need to repeal or abrogate the UN
treaties saying that all of the possible territory, resources, power, etc in
the entire rest of the universe are held in common trust.

It would need a big rocket to get a bunch of white middle-aged males into
space :-)

Scott A

++Lar