 Off-Topic / Debate / 10410
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 14:36:44 GMT

Libertopian corporate officers whould have no such protection if what they
did was egregiously negligent, although I grant such is the case today.

Yeah for Libertopia!  These corporate sharks rape the system for all it's
worth, cash in their stock options, and then let the company take the fall
for their crimes.  It's one reason why I don't trust corporate america at
all - they are extremely short-sighted.  The company and consumers will
catch hell?  So what?  I'll just cover it all up as best I can, and by the
time it all comes out, it's someone else's responsiblity.  Get some good old
fashioned personal responsiblity in there and you'll see a lot of that go
away.

I'm confused.  I expected this to be anti-libertarian and so read sarcasm into
it.  But I don't think that it's warranted.  Are you serious, Bruce?  The
opinion (sarcastic intent or not) is exactly how I feel.  Put the ass of policy
makers on the line and policy will make more sense.

Chris

I've said before I often agree with Libertarian theory - on paper.  In
practice, I think it has some serious problems - to be fair, what philosophy
doesn't?  I registered Libertarian to help get them on the California ballot
many years ago, if only because I don't like the demopublicans as the only
choice.  I'm feeling increasingly Green, actually.  I usually do not argue
for the theoritcal side here, but take what I feel is the practical side -
there's lots of areas of this current debate I've passed on simply because I
think the statements of the individuals stand fine and don't need debate
even if I find myself in disagreement (the subject of roads, for example,
which is nit-picky and I see no need to fault the Libertarian views).

Anyway, there was nothing sarcastic above.  We are in agreement.  Hold the
policy makers personally responsible for their crimes.  You knew your tires
were going to shred and withheld that information because it would ruin your
stock options?  Busted!  That pipeline was leaking?  Busted!  Your product
caused serious health problems?  Busted!  I don't see why Democrats,
Republicans, Greens, etc. should have a problem with that, either, but if
Libertarians are the ones who are going to lead the way on that subject,
more power to 'em!

Bruce