 Off-Topic / Debate / 10400
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 01:27:19 GMT

Well, if the road was too dangerous, the trucking company would either
pay for a better road, wouldn't deliver, or whatever. Eventually, the
costs would balance. If the road is unsafe because the locals wanted too
cheap a road, it would drive up other costs to the point where people
would either be comfortable with the risk vs reward, or the better more
expensive road would look more attractive. The market is capable of
realizing that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure 99% of
the time

That really isn't true.  Companies have invariably dragged their feet on the
"ounce of prevention" angle.  The cold truth is, as much as businesses get
over-regulated, they invariably brought it on themselves by NOT taking care
of business.

Business has never been free to realize that an ounce of prevention is worth a
pound of cure.  They have never been actually liable for their damages across
the long term.  They have never existed in an unrestrained market where the
government would not bail them out of their little worries by taking care of
their vicitms.  We can't say that business has dragged their feet because I
think they are specifically disincented to take that kind of responsibilty by
our protectionist system.

Chris