 Off-Topic / Debate / 10371
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 15:14:28 GMT

I gotta say, I don't get this one.  A few odd birds get killed.  Can't say I
like it, but at the same time, how many get killed by the pollution of a
coal-burning power plant?  Seems counter-productive to me.  I don't know a
tree-hugger that would agree with that stand.  Every group has its idiots, I
suppose.

Bruce

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Mr L F Braun wrote:

Here are a few key facts:
1. In the USA, California is dead last in energy production per capita 50
out of 50
2. In the USA, California is first in conservation per capita.

   I had always been under the impression that California had been
   putting up big ol' farms covered with turbine windmills, taking
   advantage of one resource (wind) that California's position gives
   it *plenty* of.  But of course the capital investment per KwH
   output for wind power is higher than, IIRC, any other form, so
   of course companies won't invest in it.

It's not that (though that IS part of it).  They can't even seem to maintain the
current wind farms, because the treehuggers are whining about the birds killed by
the blades on the windmills, and fight repairing any that break down.

  Oh my GOD.  You're kidding, right?  I mean, the British just
  built tunnels for hedgehogs, and let behavioral modification
  take its course.  The birds would learn, soon enough...the
  Canada geese sure learned fast how not to migrate!

  Have you seen that guy with the giant, tethered windmill?  It
  floats around like an ultralight helicopter, generating enough
  power to keep itself aloft and sending tons more to the ground.
  Weird concept, really, but it appears to work--but MAN would
  the FAA and the treehuggers have a field day with that.

Setting up
NEW farms would be next to impossible thanks to some of the (too many) extremist
nature lovers in Kalifornia.

  Not surprising, I guess.

If they lifted the price caps, and didn't have to worry about the Audoban (sp?)
and other organizations, I can guarantee you that there'd be more wind farms
built in no time.

  I think that would also lead to more and better nuke plants,
  currently restricted by primal fear *and* shifting sands with
  respect to regulations--get a design approved, start building,
  regulations change, redesign, rebuild, regulations change...
  maybe after spending 5x the estimate and 15 years, you *might*
  have a working powerplant...that is now under spec in some
  way yet *again*.

  Sigh.

  best

  LFB