 Off-Topic / Debate / 10363
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 13:37:53 GMT

If this is your assertion, then I say that its  a fine idea, in theory, but
suspect in practice.  What is the Libertarian take on public institutions
that benefit the public good?

All public institutions claim to benefit the public.  Many do more harm than
good.  The one that do good do so in a wildly inefficient way.  An independent
watchdog organization would spend your money better, and mostly help those who
wanted the help.

Who would fund such an organization, and how can it make any credible
claims of independence?  I don't deny the value, in theory, of the
organization, but I don't believe that we can trust it to be any more
impartial than existing watchdog organizations.  For that matter, to whom
would such an organization be accountable?  The watchmen?

All good questions that the court of public opinion would have to satisfy,
and thanks for reminding us of them, Dave! (1) Ask yourself them about the
UL or ANSI, though, under the current system. When I did, I got entirely
satisfactory answers...

Hope that helps.

1 - see how I worked your name in to the last word of the sentence position
again??

++Lar