 Off-Topic / Debate / 1036
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 15:21:31 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Tue, 25 May 1999 06:27:05 GMT, Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu>
wrote:

  Augh!  is right!  Oh, that's just plain idiotic.  The only rationale I can see is
that they don't want to have to retool all of the old coin-op machines in the post
office and public transit around the country (provided it will be about the same
mass).  If it's the same size, no problem--but it'll end up "quarterized" too.

That's a better explanation than anything I thought up.  It especially
makes sense, if the major rationale for a new dollar coin is for it to be
used in vending machines.  And if the size limit for vending machines is
the 26.5mm quarter.

  This just sucks.

It seems like there is enough of a gap in size between the nickel and the
quarter that a new coin could be made with a diameter halfway between the
two, and all the coins would be easily differentiable.  Especially if the
new coin was smaller.

My main drag with a larger coin is the extra weight.

Steve

Don't forget-- this is America where a) bigger is better, b) bigger is more valuable,
and 3;) therefore a dollar coin must be the size of a coaster.  I point to Suzy B as an
attempt to the contrary to rest my case.  Oh, and I forgot-- the land of the stupidest
collection of invertebrates (our electorate) who couldn't make an intelligent decision
if their exoskeletons depended on it.  Case in point.  New gun control legislation in
the wake of Columbine-- as if what they did wasn't illegal enough!

-John