 Off-Topic / Debate / 10229
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 12:17:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
What is your definition of terrorism?  What if we c/as a way/as
the primary way/ ?? Do some drop away from that list?

Sorry, I didn't follow that last bit: "c/as a way/as the primary way/ ??"
I am not familiar with all of the internet shorthand yet.

Sorry, that just means this:
What if, in the definition wording, we changed "as a way" to "as a primary
way"... the shorthand comes in because c/xx/yy/ is an editor command in
several old skool line editors to effect a change of xx to yy. When you see
it used you know you're dealing with someone that is crusty enough to have
used line editors...

To answer your question about my definition of terrorism, I can only say that
the popular use of the term refers to anyone outside of the "accepted"
political network taking up arms against a government and it's citizens. It is
often assumed that the "victims" are "innocent" and that the only aim of the
"terrorist" is to inflict suffering and death on others. That's the Hollywood
version

Fine, fine. But you asked me for my definition,

Indeed. You were asked for a definition after your sentenced terrorists to
an arbitrary fate. But then it turned out you were a little muddled about
what a terrorist is.

Scott A

then gave examples of people
that you assert fit my definitions. Most of those people don't "fit" my
internal notion (which, as always, with any internal notion of any other
person, can never be completely and precisely expressed by words). So..
either the definition wasn't crisp enough and needs fixing or my internal
notion is wrong, or these people did things I was unaware of.

Hence, I asked, why did you think these people fit, and what is YOUR
definition. Not hollywoods, but your personal definition. Put another way,
do you really think those presidents are terrorists by your own definition
or just that my definition is wrong, or something else?

Try to think back to when you were a kid and had to deal with a bully... >That's closer to my definition of terrorism.

The bully is a terrorist? Not sure this helps, but try some other analogies.

<snipped factoids>

We can get in a factoid war if you like, I can dig up factoids on just about
anything if I want. Not sure what it will accomplish.

I would rather dig into this narrow topic of what a terrorist is, bbecause I
am interested in trying to determine (back to my question to Richard)
whether you can or should negotiate with terrorists. I acknowledge that the
recepient of attack may have a different viewpoint than the deliverer(1).

Read this:
http://www.jewsnotzionists.org

Saw the cite the first time, thanks. Might read it if I have time, might not.

1 - Read a fun SF book, _Jumper_ which made a tangential point. While many
in the US regard the truck bomb sent into the Marine compound in Lebanon in
the early 80s, for example, as a terrorist attack, to most disinterested
observers, it is not. Self sacrificial, yes, but the bomb was directed
against a military target.

Our perception of the US as "good guys" and anyone who opposes us as "bad
guys" colors our evaluation. cf. a kamikaze pilot attacking a carrier during
WW II was not a terrorist either.

++Lar