 Off-Topic / Debate / 10163
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 18:47:27 GMT

I would turn the question around and ask how you would propose to achieve
peace with the state sponsors of terrorism, when those same states have
demonstrated irrefutably that they accept the destruction of innocent life
as a valid negotiating tactic?

All of this depends on our definition of "terrorist". The best example I can
give us is George Washington. We see him as an American hero, a general who led
soldiers against an oppressive British monarchy. Now, the British saw him as a
terrorist who led bands of mercenaries against the sovereignity of Britain.

In my book, terrorist and soldier are the same. Neither is more or less noble
than the other. Both murder the innocent. Feel free to disagree, but one cannot
deny that a soldier or terrorist use violence or war as a means to "resolve" a
political disagreement.

Sadly, Tim McVeigh considers himself a soldier in a war against the Federal
Government (and he's not the first or last, by the way). In his mind, our
government is the real terrorist for what happened in Waco. By the way, just to
avoid misquotes, I DO NOT agree with violence, with McVeigh or with the
government's action at Waco. I'm just trying to make a point about the bias in
the word "terrorist".

On a side note: In America, the words "terrorist" and "Arab" have become nearly
synonymous. This has been perpetuated mostly by Zionists in the television and
film industry and their interpretation of "terrorist" acts carried out against
Israeli soldiers and civilians. Once again, I don't agree with violence.
However, both sides of the story of the Israeli occupation and continuing
conflict is not being told.

I would suggest to all Americans to research the matter before blindly taking
the side that the news supports. Most American's don't care but it should be
known that we pour billions of dollars in aid to Israel annually. That's tax
payer money NOT being spent on national health care, the debt, better schools,
etc.

Dan