 Off-Topic / Debate / 10153
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 13:20:15 GMT

I come from the "never negotiate with terrorists" school of thought, and I
think there is a lot of merit in that approach. Terrorists need to be
apprehended and smacked down, not accomodated.

Very noble Larry. Perhaps you could tell us how this can be done? And what
about state sponsored/enacted terrorism?

Scott:
I would turn the question around and ask how you would propose to achieve
peace with the state sponsors of terrorism, when those same states have
demonstrated irrefutably that they accept the destruction of innocent life
as a valid negotiating tactic?

Education.

  Please elucidate; such education as would seem to be necessary requires a
fundamental restructuring of one side's world view, and can be perceived as
colonial indoctrination by the restructured party.

I won't go so far as to buy into the old "your commie has no regard for
human life" rhetoric, but the assumption that simple negotiations can
achieve peace between two fundamentally and violently disparate world views
is idealistic at best and has no lasting precedent in modern history.  How
is it to be accomplished?

It worked for a while in Spain. It is working in NI. It worked in south africa.

  Interesting, but I'm not convinced that they're equivalent to the
situation we were discussing.  Good examples, though.

     Dave!