 Off-Topic / Debate / 10150
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 13:01:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Scott A wrote:
I agree. Much of those involved in the UK "riots" yesterday can be found in
their local bar starting fights most Friday nights. The pity is that the
violence means that the real issues which are the point of the demostrations
are not considered as fully as they would have been.

And this is the point the Palestinians need to understand. So long as
they threaten Israel, Israel can do nothing less than take steps to
assure the safety of its people.

... by building homes on the land which does not belong to them for
immigrants from eastern Europe? The people who were causing trouble in
London yesterday were the children of the British middle class. Their idea
of suffering is haveing to wait to buy a drink at the bar.

Unfortunately, sometimes the only way
to make sure you are safe from your neighbor is to attack them. I am
convinced that Israel is over reacting. I am also convinced that the
world has taught the Jewish people that NO ONE can be trusted to uphold
your rights other than yourself (which ultimately is true, and is THE
reason for the 2nd amendment to the US constitution).

...and what about the rights of others. Do they not matter?

Now it happens to
be true right now that the US for the most part is for Israel (which I
think is probably a good thing, I'd really prefer not to see nuclear war
start, and my personal feeling is that Israel is quite capable of
launching a nuclear attack if they get backed into a corner).

So Israel is blackmailing the US into supporting it? Further, past support
from the US has, at the very least, given Israel the time to develop nuclear
technology - so this is a chicken and egg argument.

Scott A

Scott A