 Off-Topic / Debate / 1009
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 15:35:32 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   were kept in reserve at artillery parks or armories,
   just as they are today, and issued to the militia
   at the time of mobilization.  Had the right to bear

And those militia were controlled/directed by locals rather than a
central autonomous well organized institution with instantaneous
communications.

   True.  But isn't the National Guard also atomized by
  state except in event of a national call-up?  I consider
   that a "militia."

Wasn't it more of a county-sized operation?  A state - even those little
NE states were a big area to command without electronic communication.
If someone in my community - someone that I could get an appointment to
see - had control of the big guns and was an equal decision maker with a
bunch of other county military reps, I would be more comfortable.  But,
I would still suggest that I have the right to arms as guarenteed by the second.

The Massachusetts militia were organized by towns. I think under an
elected officer. The towns of course were (and still are) governed by
open town meeting (total democracy).I don't recall how a leader was
chosen when the militia of several towns gathered in Concord.

The Concord MA millitia is now a semi-private organization, and owns a
couple cannon (which I think would still be capable of firing a
cannonball...)

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com