 Off-Topic / Debate / 10080
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:12:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
<snip rebuffing-of-Scott-part>

Richard did not rebuff me.

He can speak for himself of course, but calling your tone polemic strikes me
as a rebuke... and a well deserved one.

You are mixing tone and content. In any event, I was happy to have my tone
called "polemic":
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=polemic*1+0

You've been called on this point before, you are quick to criticise some
sides (who deserve criticism, in this case Israel) and reluctant to
acknowledge that the UK had anything to do with the problem or that it has
faults elsewhere or that the other sides in the same conflict (in this case
the PLO) deserve criticism much much more.

++Lar

That is because I am talking about now. You are talking about the past. The
UK's colonial past does not make it ok for Israelto torture now... at least
in my opinion. As I have said before many times, the UK has a suspect past
as a colonial power... but I think it better than some.

...and, for the record, I am no friend of the PLO either. But I certainly
blame them no more than I do Israel. The problem with the PLO is that they
have too little lobbying power ;-)

Scott A