 Off-Topic / Debate / 1004
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 11:42:35 GMT

   Hi again,

Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   Now here's where we part ways, Chris.  Are you
   aware of how armies were levied in the British model
   during the eighteenth century?  There wasn't a standing
   army of any size during peacetime--levies from the
   countryside were vital for colonial defence.  In Britain
   itself, the settlement of 1689 prohibited a standing
   army without the annual consent of Parliament--on
   an island, it just wasn't necessary, when a reserve
   could be raised on very short notice and armies moved
   ten miles a day on the average.

But, the people of the colonies and the people of Britain had different
worries.  I don't want to get into a historical debate, because I am
simply not equipped to do so...I mean I'm ignorant in comparison to you.
(unless you're making stuff up ;-)

   I try only to make stuff up when it's inconsequential.  ;)
  My "field" isn't early US/18th C. Britain, it's later, so
   all I have is ancillary knowledge and methodological
   things.

   I'm in agreement with the "they had different worries"
   statement--but only to a point.  I don't think New York
   worries were that different from Liverpudlian ones.  The
   frontier was a different story altogether, though.

   The idea of inside
   domination was rather silly--if the Framers were so
   very worried about preventing police states and
   oppressive central governments, why on Earth did
   they extol the virtues of France and accept its aid
   when Louis XVI was about as absolutist a monarch
   and France about as strongly centralized a police
   state as could ever exist?  The answer is that they
   trusted in reason and responsible government--not
   the prospect of needing to take up arms against it.

I think they just needed the help.  I also think that you are wrong to
some extent.  I don't have the Federalist papers in front of me, but I
recall some good self-government paranoia being exhibited therein.  I do
have some quotes from Jefferson (admittedly only one of the great
thinkers involved) on the matter of Rebellion:

"I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as
necessary in the political world...[and] is a medicine necessary for the
sound health of government."  (From a letter to James Madison, 30 Jan, 1787.)

"God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion (Shay's,
I think)...The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with
the blood of patriots & tyrants.  It is the natural manure."  (From a
letter to William Stephens Smith, 13 Nov, 1787)

   Jefferson was an odd bird.  Revolts were common in
  Europe until the end of the 18th century--riots, unrest,
   and so forth.  The world wasn't a placid place by any
   means!  I'll have to look at the Shay's Rebellion stuff
   again--it's rather interesting.

   The Federalist arguments were state versus central ones,
   not "tyrannical US government versus individuals" ones.
   It was competing levels of government, a holdover of the
   pre-Revolutionary colonial structure that had a vested
   interest in maintaining itself.  It did so rather nicely in the
   Articles of Confederation--but that failed miserably, so
   another try was in order.  As I've written in another message,
   I'm of the mind that much of the Bill of Rights's intent was
   to mollify the states.

   As to the freak-out point of weapons of mass
   destruction, that's a gross distortion of the intent
   of the Second Amendment, not to mention any

I still disagree.  My reading suggests that the real point was to ensure
that the people were armed such that they could throw off the yoke of an
oppressive tyranny.  Thus, it is my opinion (and I believe theirs) that
the people must have access to arms equal to those of the government.

   But who are "the people?"  Jefferson and Co. meant "white
  male property owners," but didn't say it because it didn't need
   to be said in a patriarchal society.  Are we to revert to their
   definition of people as well?  And equality in quantity or quality?
   Or both?  It wasn't much of an issue until the late 19th century,
   granted.

   possible reading of it--in the early United States,
   for example, people could own small arms but
   owning *cannon* was not only rare but alarming!

OK, I simply don't have any accounts of this.  I was under the
impression that the war of 1812 was won (or at least endured) because of
lots of merchant ships that were armed with cannon.  If I'm not wrong in
this recollection, then it can't have been too awfully rare.

   You're right.  These were privateers who sailed
  under letters of marque from the United States,
   and they usually bought their cannon for that purpose.
   Some did have small weapons beforehand, but that's
   entirely a device of the context--piracy was a real
   fear in a way it isn't today!  I'm not sure how it was
   handled, but I believe most harbor masters made a
   record of how many guns each ship carried.  Not
   all carried guns--after all, where did the privateers'
   victims come from, if everyone was so armed?  :)

   This became much less common as the 19th century
   wore on, in part because of regulation that snuffed
   out piracy.  You can see echoes of it in ships like
   _Great Eastern_ (1872, I think) that had faux gunports
   for decoration.

   And...cannon on a ship are different than cannon in
   your barn.  The weapon itself might be the same,
   but the justification is different.

   Weapons of "mass destruction" (a strange term
   to try and apply to the 18th and 19th centuries)

Right.  I agree that it doesn't 'translate' perfectly.

   It doesn't translate at all!

   were kept in reserve at artillery parks or armories,
   just as they are today, and issued to the militia
   at the time of mobilization.  Had the right to bear

And those militia were controlled/directed by locals rather than a
central autonomous well organized institution with instantaneous

communications.

   True.  But isn't the National Guard also atomized by
  state except in event of a national call-up?  I consider
   that a "militia."

   arms been interpreted so loosely, you might have
   ended up with the same situation as evolved in
   China between 1900 and 1928, when the Qing
   government (and its Nationalist successor) had
   not the resources or the freedom to place limits--
   namely, a quasi-feudal system of local warlords.

Oh.  :-)

   So I'm in favor of available weapons--but not the
   weapons of mass and wanton destruction on a
   national or global scale.  Weapons designed to
   destroy thousands should not be in the hands of
   individuals, for there is precisely *no* value to
   them other than the pre-emptive and offensive.

Read a short piece of fiction if you are so inclined: _The Ungoverned_
by Vernor Vinge.  It can be found in the book _True Names and Other
Dangers_ or the book _Accross Realtime_.

   I'll have to look at these--I'm afraid my library
  of fiction is rather sparse.  I'm beginning to forget
   that good literature exists!

   See above.  We're looking for fascists so
  fervently, that we're starting to develop a
   bunker mentality.  And I'm totally in disagree-
   ment with you on the "reason" for the RKBA
   existing--as a historian, I can tell you that the
   colonists considered themselves Britons until
   1775, so they believed London was "their" gov't
   but in fact it was not and had never been, since
   the Crown assumed control of colonies in the
   late 1600s.  It's all bound up in issues of identity
   as colonists and Britons that I don't want to get
   into here--but suffice to say that the apparent
   "defence from our own bad and injudicious
   government" clause is not the primary reason
   we have the 2d Amendment.

I don't understand how this impact the cause of the 2nd.  You say it
does, and I don't want to dispute someone who clearly knows more than I
do about the relevant history, but you haven't explained to me how this
colonial identity crisis affects the second at all.

   Whoa.  I set down the machine without
  linking any gears, heh.  What I was trying
   to get at was that the mentions of "our"
   government among colonists really refers
   to an outside--British--type of imposition,
   and not a locally-representative edifice.
   Colonial assemblies and the like--call them
   state governments or county governments
   now--aren't what they're talking about.

   You're right, that paragraph up there should
   be taken out and shot.

   This is American triumphalism, Chris--and
   probably the most pernicious manifestation
   of US imperialism today.  It's closely tied to
   development theory, namely that the West
   (and more specifically, the United States)
   represents the pinnacle of human achievement

Well, I think that's true.  Sorry.  (I just hope we don't stop here,
cause it's not good enough.)

   I'll agree that it's the best enumerated system
  we have, but it's not the only possible path.
   We can't exist if everyone is like us--Immanuel
   Wallerstein (among others) has shown that
   pretty effectively.  For us, it's fine and I agree
   with you--but for the rest of the world?  No.

   that these "less developed" states can reach
   only with our help, since they're obviously
   less capable of managing their own affairs.

I don't think that.  I just think that we might be able to guide them to
where we've arrived without stumbling over the same obstacles that we
had to.  And maybe I'm wrong.  I argue the other side with respect to
North Korea.  I think we shouldn't spend so much time preventing them
from using fissionable material, and let them grow up.  I ultimately
think we won't ever really get inside their frame of mind and so our
ability to help them is limited.  This maybe the same in Rwanda, but we
should have intervened just because it was so horrific.  I think we
stand a better chance in Serbia, but not the way we're going.

   It's terrifically simplistic to equate horrible
   and genocidal acts with childhood--and not
   only that, but it's just plain wrong, since it's

It's not just plain wrong.  It's just an analogy, and you shouldn't read
too much meaning into it, but the idea behind it is sound.  I do try to
help me son not make the mistakes I made, and we should do the same as a
nation, at least sometimes.

   often the West (broadly defined) that created
   and then *maintained*--and still do--the order
   that makes this sort of thing happen over and
   over, ad nauseum.

Examples, please.

   The United States's desire to "contain" the
   genuine expression of people's will in Iran--
   the Revolution of 1979--was accompanied
   by our vilification of the regime and provo-
   cation of it.  In so doing, we propped up
   Saddam Hussein; we embargoed its people
   to make that government collapse; and we
   tied humanitarian aid to its willingness to
   compromise on its stated--and publicly-
   approved--program.  In respose, they
   sent rhetoric back and burnt flags, et cetera--
   which we then latched onto as proof of their
   barbarism.  Most US citizens don't believe
   that rational people would have a reason to
   like the Ayatollah Khomeini or Mohammed
   Farah Aidid (Remember Somalia?).

   That's just one example of how our senses
   are played upon (and yes, it *is* in part
   done by the US government, but we're
   receptive to it--hardly question it--which
   is what I'm railing against).  I'm not sure
   if policy breeds ideology or vice versa,
   but I have a suspicion that it's a helical
   relationship (intertwined).

  That said, I do agree that we should be doing
  something about Kosova--but I don't agree
   with how it's being done.  Unfortunately, in

Yeah, I think that Allbright (is that the right person?) should have
drawn a gun from her purse and shot Milosevic the last time they met.
That might get the ball rolling.

   Well, for once, we agree on something!  My
  former editor-in-chief lived in a dormitory at
   Wellesley with Madeline Albright, and said
   that she was really a rather quiet person, so
   I'm not sure I could see this.  Aparently
   she was quite determined then too, though.

   A Croatian I met a few weeks ago told me
   that she couldn't understand how Milosevic
   got into power--but that only Tito, who played
   down his origins, had the requisite legitimacy
   to hold Yugoslavia together after WWII.
   It's an example of one powerful individual
   maintaining an idea--Yugoslavia--by sheer
   force of will and ideological position.  No
   Tito, Yugoslavia's days are numbered--
   it, too, was a creation of Western Europe
   in 1918 with the breakup of Austria-
   Hungary.

   If they did, they'd have made their careers and
   put lots of people out of work!  Who are the
   authors, by the way?  I mean, what institution,

Published by the Pacific Research Institute for Public Policy.  Kates is
a criminologist and Civil Rights Lawyer, and Kleck is a professor at the
School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Florida State University.

   Did PRIPP fund the research itself, or just publish
  the results?  If the former, the story of its genesis
   is suspect--PRIPP is a very deregulation-friendly
   think tank.  From Yearbook News:

Pacific Research Institute is a nonprofit
organization which seeks to promote the
principles of individual freedom and personal
responsibility through the encouragement of
policies that emphasize a free economy, private
initiative and limited government. The Institute
focuses on policy issues such as education,
technology, welfare, environment, law economics
and healthcare.

   <http://www.yearbooknews.com/html/pacifres.html>

   It's suspect in either case, since Kates published another
   book with PRIPP in 1990--I guess looking at that one
   (_Guns, Murder, and the Constitution_) might be
   interesting, to see the differences or similarities.
   The organization is at http://www.pacificresearch.org .

   LFB.