 Off-Topic / Debate / 10035
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:15:01 GMT

But [can] we be forgiven by our families for working >50 hours per week? I
read the USA has the longest working week, highest levels of work related
stress and the worst divorce rates in the west.

  That's the US; we don't do anything half-way!  If we're going to have a
work week, we're going to have the *longest* work week.  Ditto stress level
and divorce rates!  Go team!

In the field I work in everyone is writing books.... all covering the same
data. I suppose more students in higher education means more text book
purchases. I also find that new editions are more common these days.

  In my work toward an English degree I was required to buy three different
editions of the same "Complete Works of Shakespeare."  Little or nothing had
changed in the criticism or commentary; the differences were mostly in
typeface and the like.  What, honestly, changes in Shakespeare from semester
to semester that necessitates a new $50 edition?
  That's a rhetorical question, of course.  I understand that publishers and
editors have bills to pay, too.

     Dave!