 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 486
485  |  487
Subject:
Mega Bloks Surpising fun...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:11:07 GMT

After going through much of what's available in Lego of present and (through
ebay) past, I've been surprised by some recent Mega Blok stuff and think other
Lego fans may want to check this stuff out--

They have a 1400 piece gray Kittyhawk aircraft carrier that is huge, 2.5 feet
I think--most of the pieces are 2x4 bricks...Ive bought several of these (at
just $50) each and can imagine building 6 foot tall stuff for just $2-300
hundred, instead of $1-3000 of lego equivalents.

The stuff is holding together, and I would judge it to be 90% the quality of
lego.

I was pessimistic, but at $50 per 1400 pieces, wow!  Their catalog has items
that look like Lego should have come out with--like a complete "Xtreme Sports
Skatepark" for finger-board ramp fun...

And I just bought two (in a series of 4) foot-tall Mech-like robots that have
awesome joints that have to be seen to be believed. Very human positioning. I
have seen nothing like them in lego.

They're coming out with a massive realistic White House soon. 1400 pieces it
looks like. Id expect it to be $50-60.

(All the above I'm getting from a little color book in my Mech-robot kits).

Please don't think I'm pro Mega Blok, anti Lego--I love Lego #1--this stuff
seems, to me, to compliment my collection in nice ways--at obscenely cheaper
prices than we're used to.

Also, in my opinion only, the Mega Blok stuff from before this year was badly
colored and TOTALLY unappealing, but the packaging and the concepts this year
onwards seem to be a whole new level of quality. (like they hired someone that
knows what to do).

I'm seeing this stuff at primarily TOYS R US.

I'm new to LUGNET, please don't slaughter me too much for this pro-Mega Blok
message.  Randy