 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2756
Re: PodBrix???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:31:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Christopher Robin MacDougald wrote:
   From FAQ:

“Do you paint the figures? How do you get the desired color of the minifig.

Tomi Responds: All the figures are injection molded plastic manufactured in the proper color. Nothing is painted.”

Cool products...

“Woz”

Anyone know if this is even legal?

If you look at the line above it suggests that he doesn’t make them himself and that they are genuine Lego. Looking at the various figs this would make sense since they seem to be in standard Lego colours.

From a quick perusal of the FAQ:
How are the PodBrix minifigs created?

Tomi Responds: I start with a standard LEGO® brand minifig and modify it by hand to create the desired appearance. Each one is slightly different.

Sounds to me as though he’s selling a value-added product based on the raw materials provided by LEGO. It doesn’t seem fundamentally different from selling an MOC as a set unto itself a la The Guild of Bricksmiths

   As for legal... it depends when the Patent on the torso run out. Probably already has but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Not sure how patent law would apply if he’s just reselling the product. It’s not as though he’s casting molds from official LEGO bricks, such as the infamous Shifty brand has done.

Anyway, there are quite a few permutations of the “basic” LEGO torso already on the market, so it seems to me either that the patent has expired or else the subtle but real variations are sufficient to protect clone-brand manufacturers from patent-related lawsuits.

Dave!