 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2693
2692  |  2694
Subject:
Review of Mega Bloks set 1012: Captain Davy Jones
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 21:21:33 GMT

This message is slight revision of a review posted on the Bloks forum earlier today.

$6.99 for 45 pieces, including the good Captain himself. A brief overview:

Jeez-o-man is he an ugly cuss! I don’t know what he did to piss off the gods of fashion, but he’s really a wretched-looking fellow. He wears a blue hat and jacket with gold trim and a gold belt buckle. In addition to his medusa-esque beard, he has a lobster pincer for a left hand a spike (apparently of bare bone) for a right leg--this leg is like Dreadeye’s peg and doesn’t bend except at the hip. Davy’s right hand isn’t much prettier, with a pink tentacle entending from the fingers and spiraling around his walking stick. That’s a small downside, actually--the walking stick is part of his hand, rather than a separate piece like a sword or axe. Still, it’s gratifyingly hideous, and he looks like generally a priest of Cthulhu or else someone whose love of seafood got the better of him. Other than his remarkable good looks, Davy doesn’t come with any weapons--not even a dagger or straight-razor. I don’t know how you’d go about shaving a beard of tentacles, but it probably involves a lobster claw, so in that case Davy’s all set!

The set comes in a small flip-top octagonal box, approximating what I believe is Captain Sparrow’s magical compass. Although I’m not really into this kind of packaging (ditto for the skulls, which are cool but of minimal use to me), I have to admit that this is nicely executed. In addition to the gold-painted plastic clasp, the lid has a shallow dome, on the underside of which is painted a gold-on-dark-blue starfield. The bottom inner surface of the case has a decal of a compass. I don’t know what kind of topological geniuses are on the payroll at Mega Bloks Inc., but I absolutely could not get the case closed again after opening it until I removed the parts from the polybags. Then it was no problem.

The set is a small dinghy with a single mast and sail. Aside from the mast, its crossbeam, and the prow, the boat is built from regular bricks in dark gray and a sort of pearl pond-scummish green, just as you’d expect Davy Jones to sail around in. Also included (in that same green color) are five of the 1x4 railing elements previously seen in Dragons and Pyrates, as well as two of the round 2x2 45-degree inverse corner slopes. There’s also one of the large treasure chests and a sprinkling of the 1x1 piles-o-coins in various colors. Another new element is, I believe, the eponymous “locker.” It’s about the size of a 1x2 brick, though a little taller, and it resembles a small coffer. It’s dark pearl-silver with black patina and a rounded top—think of a half-cylinder laid lengthwise across the brick. It doesn’t open, and I have no idea how it figures into the movie, but it looks pretty cool.

It’s a bit pricey @ $0.16 per piece, but it looks great and fits perfectly into the visual style of Pyrates. Set 1011: Jack Sparrow is the same price with 30 pieces.

The TRU where I picked this up also had the two skull sets @ $12.99. 1025 Bayou Discovery includes a barefoot and dark-skinned woman and 1026 Isla Cruces includes a weirdo hammerhead shark-guy. If I saw correctly, each also comes with a Jack Sparrow figure.

The 1017 Black Pearl was not on the shelf, and these Pirates of the Caribbean sets were the only new items that I could find, outside of a few of the Marvel Super-Tech Heroes, but I believe that these had been there a little while already.

All in all, a very nice little set!

Be sure to stop by the Bloks Forum to discuss any and all things related to Mega Bloks. We’re fond of other clone brands, too--all are welcome!

Dave!