 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2576
Re: Some info about Block-Men
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:03:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:

Anyway, in the years since then, I’ve noticed that the brand has vanished, and even the old website is defunct. More recently Cobi bricks have hit the scene with similar military themes (and more,) and a number of the distinctive elements of the Block-Men have popped up in the Cobi sets that are viewable online.

I don’t know if anyone else cares about this, but it’s of some interest to me if only for its historical trivia.

Any additional info is much appreciated, and I’ll post anything else I find.

Dave!

If this webpage is believable http://www.malvina-group.com/en/products/~category=7 Cobi is owned by Meccano - but I can’t get confirmation on that from the Meccano homepage, and I honestly doubt it. This Malvina page says: “These toys (Cobi) are distributed only in Belarus and Russia”. This indicates to me, that this is a clone rather than a Blockmen takeover - why else limit the market?

Arne, Copenhagen