 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2547
2546  |  2548
Subject:
New MEGABLOKS line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:39:08 GMT

I saw two figures from this line at my local KMart over the weekend. I confess that this was the first I’d heard of these, so I have little information to offer other than the link to a few photos. Even the MEGABLOKS website doesn’t have any detail yet, as far as I can tell.

I saw the Battle Scorch 2 and Paladar figures who come with a huge axe and a huge sword, respectively. The price was $6.99.

Critics will likely harumph that these are “Bionicle knockoffs,” but in fact they evoke (though they’re somewhat smaller than) the old Baron Karza and Force Commander Micronauts of my distant youth.

Other than a single stud2 on each of Battle Scorch’s forearms, I couldn’t see any attachment points for conventional bricks, though the packaging doesn’t afford a 360° view, either.

I’m intrigued by the use of magnet-joints in this latest MB line, which strikes me as similar to the way the recently-acquired Rose Art’s Magnetix sets join together. Granted, it’s not likely that MB could conceive, design, produce, and release a line of figures in the month since the deal was announced, but it may have been in the R&D stage before that.

I’ll post more detail as I get it.

Dave!