 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2536
2535  |  2537
Subject:
Review of MB3601: Pieces of Eight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:01:29 GMT

Review of MB3601 Pieces of Eight
MSRP: $4.99
Pieces: 20
Figures 2

First, let me come clean and admit that until ten minutes ago I had no idea what the idiom “Pieces of Eight” means, but thanks to Wikipedia you can count me officially clued-in.

This is a nice little set that would serve nicely as an introduction to the Pyrates line or to the Collectible Micro Action Figures™ themselves. It’s inexpensive but gives a sense of what the line has to offer—an effective teaser.

The packaging is worth special note; the set comes in a cloth, drawstring bag secured to a cardboard backing that stands upright on the shelf. The design is good IMO because it offers an engaging presentation and distinguishes this set (and others in this line) from standard box-based sets. A note of concern: the bag is secured to the cardboard backing with a zip-tie, and one must use care when separating them so that neither the bag nor drawstring is torn.

The set includes one of the small, textured scenery elements seen previously in Dragons sets, and this one is painted like a small sandy island lapped by white and pastel blue waves. I have a ton of elements like these, and I like them. Dissenters might decry them as single-use BURPS, but they work well in a small, stand-alone diorama.

The set also includes a palm tree with separate canopy. These are more flexible than standard bricks but make effective scenery elements and secure well on the 2x2 plate base.

Also included is a treasure chest with hinged lid (apparently a standard feature of Pyrates sets), several small “gems” in trans-red (octagonal faceted 1x1 tiles—really great elements, IMO), and a snake to menace anyone who opens the chest with insufficient caution. The snake is flexible like the tree’s canopy and doesn’t readily attach to a studded plate, nor does it fit well in a figure’s hand; that might have been a good touch, but the snake would likely have been abnormally thick, so it’s probably best as it is.

Now that I think about it, the Undead probably have little to fear from animal venoms, so that explains why the Skeleton Crew™ is so fond of using snakes and spiders for guarding its treasure.

The set comes with two figures:

Scotty Spitshine: As is typical of the Pyrates line, he’s a very nice sculpt, and his attire is more detailed than the other Sea Marauders™ I’ve acquired so far. He wears a black tri-corn hat and a jacket, and he has a full beard and brown hair. He also wears boots and, judging from his name, I’ll bet that they’re kept well-polished. Scotty wields a heavy cutlass.
Vertibrine: Again, another great sculpt. Vertibrine wears only a belt and his boots, and he wields a trans-blue “spectral” axe. He adheres to the basic Skeleton Crew design, but his skull is bare whereas other members of the Crew wear bandanas. I think MEGABLOKS made a great choice in not over-adorning their skeleton figures, because they aren’t pinned to a swashbuckling setting. They would go well, for example, as undead minions of some rogue Dragons necromancer.

The set comes with a map of the Pyrates realm and a plastic coin with a hole in the center for sleuthing out the secrets of the map. I confess that I’m still a little shaky on this part, so I can’t give anything away.

Considering the small number of pieces in this set, the playability is quite good. I’ve already mentioned that I love the design and sculpt of these figures, and the accessories are just great. The lid of the treasure chest has a “web-code,” with which one can visit the MEGABLOKS website and plumb untold secrets. I haven’t explored this yet, but seems analogous to the codes included in the Command Ops sets.

Overall I’d say that this set is worth the MSRP. Ultimately I’d really like to see a figure pack along the lines of the Norvagen War Chest or Xenoz Clerics from the Dragons line, but these bagged sets do nicely in the meantime.

If you want to try out the Pyrates line before jumping willy-nilly off the plank, then this set is a good way to start.

Dave!