 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2522
Re: MegaBloks secures 'Narnia' license.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:08:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ken Dowd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ken Dowd wrote:
   It appears that MegaBloks has the license to produce sets based upon the movie version of the C.S. Lewis book, ‘The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe’ coming in December.

http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=273&dl=2917005

No details yet. Thanks to JakeSnicket from FBTB for the link.

Jeez Louise, that’s unexpected. Or maybe not, since the film is coming out. Any idea if the license includes the films (as in the case of the Marvel license) or applies only to the books?

Wild stuff. Thanks for the news!

Dave!

Well, since Disney is behind the film and the link leads to “the official Disney Comsumers Products licensee list”, I’ll step out on a limb and say the license is for the film. ;)

Everybody’s a comedian... 8^)

   My question is, what form will the set/s take? When Pokemon was a huge craze, MegaBloks came out with 2 whole mosaics. And their current Star Trek license consists of 1 Probuilder kit. Will MegaBloks take that route or will they come out with a full blown minifig theme. I hope the latter (and with less juniorization than say, the Dragons theme).

That’s a good question. The current Poke-ball sets seem like a better swipe at the Poke-fad, but they’re like five years after the fact, aren’t they? Those mosaic sets totally missed the mark, IMO.

As far as the Star Trek deal goes, I wonder if the license was only for that ship, rather than for the product line as a whole? Heck, at the very least, they could have released six Enterprise models (well, probably five, since the 1701 and 1701 aren’t all that distinct from each other, at least not in pixellated block form!) They could even have done the TOS and TNG models, if nothing else. This strikes me as another missed opportunity.

I’m not greatly interested in Narnia, to tell the truth. I have problems with CS Lewis on the whole, but the series just doesn’t thrill me. Still, if the sets are on par with the current Marvel offerings or the forthcoming Pyrates, then I’ll probably pick up a few, if only for the parts.

Dave!