 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2508
Re: MEGABLOKS site update with Pyrates info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:59:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   Check it out here.

Groovy stuff.

Wow those are some really nice looking Playmobile sets.

Oh really, Mike! Such cynicism ill-becomes you! 8^)

I almost typed cyanicism, which I guess is appropriate if you’re feeling blue about all this.

To be sure, these new sets have some heavily juniorized, or at least heavily specialized elements. For the price, I don’t think the piece counts are too much worse than at least some of the Dragons playsets, so I’ll suspend final judgment until I’ve seen them in person.

Frank Filz has, despite my snippiness, correctly observed that the issue isn’t simply juniorization but the overspecialization of part-style. Sure, the weathered wooden staircase element might be nice on the deck of the Pyrate ship, but it would look silly in a spaceborne vessel. Too bad MEGABLOKS doesn’t have more generic equivalents of some of these cool but too style-specific pieces.

   Well hopefully they will make fig packs at least, I would definately pick up some of those.

I’m eager for that, as well. From the available pictures it appears that they’ll have at least a few smaller sets in the $5 to $7 range, so maybe there’s hope. The recent “Dragon Sages” sets (and the like) are a good example of this; I hope MEGABLOKS tries something similar with Pyrates (and Marvel, for that matter).

Dave!